Monday, November 24, 2008

Hilary's Birthday

Today, November 26th is Hilary's birthday. By now she would have been born. She was born on a "dark and stormy night", early this morning.

Well, actually, when I went to sleep at 10:30 PM, there was a beautiful full moon shining through the roof window in West Newbury, where we lived at the time. I was reading on my stomach, and the little being inside it was expressing extreme displeasure. Little did I know, then, that this hubris took the form of turning completely around in utero, setting the stage for a breach birth.

At exactly 12 midnight, the aforesaid person began kicking and kicking, and my water broke. At this point, I jumped up in the air, over the sleeping body next to mine, and completely down the stairs, without touching a stair in the process.

It was a wild 45 minute ride to the hospital. Shortly thereafter, anesthetized up to my chin- but awake, a beautiful pink baby girl was born. "She looks just like a rose", I thought.

The next few days were a blur, though I knew it was snowing like mad, and Thanksgiving would be a few people short. Nevertheless, I marveled, when conscious, of this perfect little being next to me.

Regardless of the fact that, all these years later, I can be a little fuzzy on the actual date, I remember the moment as clearly as if it had happened today!

All these years later– she still is! Just as this beautiful photo of her nephew, below:



Happy birthday, Hilary!


No comments: