Tuesday, July 7, 2009

How I Spent My 4th of July Weekend: Part II

On Saturday, July 4th, after our earlier cavorting in the waves above the ground, we made plans to travel beneath the surface of it!

Our destination (Nancy, 'Lizbeth, Lizelda and me) was Wind Cave. We traveled through Custer State Park (please people!!! find another name for this beautiful place!) It was a stormy day, (had quite a rainstorm to drive through on our way to the cave) but we were in high spirits nevertheless. The inhabitants of this place were in high spirits, too, as you can see from the photo.

A sacred site to the Lakota, their ancestors emerged from this place in ancient days, following their relative Tatanka through the door and to the surface on what is now their ancestral lands.



The cave itself is pleasantly cool. It was the first time for me to be in a cave, and I wondered how I would feel. I was fine, but the oddest feeling of incredible weight bearing down on my head! Though I took many photos, it was too dark to get good pics with my cell phone. Here is the best of the bunch.

Hundreds of miles of cave are contained within a 1 mile square, with approximately 5 new miles discovered by volunteers every year.

We were underground for about 1.25 hours, and at the deepest point we were 22 feet underground.
Upon leaving the cave we came upon a huge herd of buffalo, who kindly posed for a spontaneous photo opp! We traveled back north to my place for grilled buffalo burghers (did I just say- buffalo? sorry guys!) and chips.

No comments: